Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tabu- 1931



U.S.
Length: 84 minutes
Director: F.W. Murnau
Cast: Anne Chevalier, Reri, Matahi, Hitu, Jean, Jules, Ah Kong

Eric's Impressions: I probably didn't give this film a fair shake as I was so glad to be out of the Silent Era when we watched it, only to realize that it in fact was another silent film. Though the film is filled with beautiful imagery and landscapes in Bora Bora, I couldn't help but think I was just watching a tropical "Nanook of the North." With that being said, I'm a big fan of two of Murnau's other films - the previously discussed, "Nosferatu" and "The Last Laugh."

Natalie's Impressions: Of the Murnau films I have seen, this is probably my favorite, besides The Last Laugh. He was such a versatile director. He did everything from horror to comedy to drama. This film has a documentary aesthetic to it in the way it was filmed, seemingly documenting a tribe of French Polynesians. I can see how it won an Oscar for best cinematography. I can only imagine how spectacular the film could have been in color! Although no professional actors were used in this film and the names of the main characters in the film were the names of the actors, the acting was pretty good. The stoic facial expression of the chief, the desperate look of Reri, and the determined, hopeful and despairing looks that move across Matahi's face over the course of the film are what will stand out in my memory.

COUNTDOWN: Just 957 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment