Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dracula- 1931



U.S.
Length: 75 minutes
Director: Tod Browning
Cast: Bela Lugosi, Helen Chandler, David Manners, Dwight Frye, Edward van Sloan, Herbert Bunstom, Frances Dade, Joan Standing, Tod Browning, Michael Visaroff, Charles K. Gerrard

Eric's Impressions: This was always my favorite vampire movie until I saw "Nosferatu." It's hard for me to think of anyone playing the title character better than Bela Lugosi. Who will ever forget the classic line, "Cheeldren of the naight, leesten to thaim." I've mentioned my admiration for director Tod Browning - the Tim Burton of his time - in other reviews. This movie is often credited for making the horror genre more mainstream and despite a weak ending, it's still an all-time classic.

Natalie's Impressions: The original Dracula! My expectations were perhaps too high before I saw this film. I think our society is slightly desensitized to high tech Dracula movies- at least I am. Vampire and Dracula movies were already pasé for me before I even saw my first one. I sit through each one incredibly bored, trying to find something other than the ridiculous plot to interest me. This film's acting was mildly interesting, but I knew that it would be going into it. So no surprise there. I was actually underwhelmed with the lack of dramatic climax and was not overly impressed with the use of sound or with the art direction. Maybe I was just not in the right mood when I saw this film but I think I could have died happily not ever seeing it.

COUNTDOWN: Just 956 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment