Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Le Million- 1931



France
Length: 89 minutes
Director: René Clair
Cast:

Eric's Impressions: This film packs a pretty solid 1-2 punch for director Rene Clair as he made the last entry, "A Nous La Liberte," the same year as this one. Like Natalie, I enjoyed this one much more, especially because it got so ridiculous at times that you have to applaud the filmmakers for letting it get out of hand. I need to look further into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Monty Python troupe listed this as one of their most influential films. The chase sequences would make Benny Hill blush and the entire cast is in on the joke as they have no problem letting their hair down to move the story along.

Natalie's Impressions: I found this Clair film to be much more entertaining than A Nous la Liberté. I laughed out loud many times, but not necessarily because of the physical comedy, but rather for the pure silliness of the whole thing. The chase scenes were excellent, especially the one scored to the sounds of a rugby game where a jacket gets tossed around like a ball in rugby. The score as a whole, in fact, was one of the strongest parts of the film, in my opinion. I thought this film had a better balance of dialogue, songs and silence than the previous film. I didn't find the songs that were used as storytelling vehicles as annoying, but rather entertaining because they were so silly.

COUNTDOWN: Just 958 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment