Wednesday, December 16, 2009

City Lights- 1931



U.S.
Length: 87 minutes
Director: Charlie Chaplin
Cast: Virginia Cherrill, Florence Lee, Harry Myers, El Ernest Garcia, Hank Mann, Charles Chaplin

Eric's Impressions: When people ask me to list my all-time favorite movies, this one comes up early in the discussion. If the final scene between the blind girl and the Tramp - in what is arguably film's greatest scene - doesn't make you cry then you probably don't have a heart. This movie has it all and makes a poignant statement on the social class system. You'll never forget the comedic and choreographed sequences - the party and boxing scenes stand out - and it also reminds us of how love can overcome all obstacles. It's interesting to note that even though he could have made it as a talkie, Chaplin refused to do so and kept it silent. I think it was the right choice. I was very happy to see it make a major jump in the latest American Film Institute rankings of the to 100 films (from 76 to 11).

Natalie's Impressions: This movie marks my introduction to Chaplin. Although I had seen some of his shorts before watching this film, I didn't become aware of his genius until after seeing this movie, which is my favorite Chaplin film even after subsequently watching all his other films. I agree with Eric that this film is way better as a silent film than it would have been as a talkie. I think it would have lost a lot of its charm and innocence in a way. The silent aspect somehow makes the message all the more powerful and heartfelt. I would mind seeing this film jump into AFI's top ten- maybe next time.

COUNTDOWN: Just 954 movies left!

No comments:

Post a Comment