Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Frankenstein-1931



U.S.
Length: 71 minutes
Director: James Whale
Cast: Collin Clive, Mae Clark, John Boles, Boris Karloff, Edward Van Sloan, Frederick Kerr, Dwight Frye, Lionel Belmore, Marilyn Harris

Eric's Impressions: Though I much prefer the Mel Brooks' classic, "Young Frankenstein," I have to give this movie it's due in horror film history despite it not being all that scary. I know I'm in the minority based on all the vampire movies out there, but I always found the Frankenstein story much more interesting than the predictable blood-sucking fare. Boris Karlof is superb as the monster as is Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein.

Natalie's Impressions: Most important horror film ever made. Yay. Whoopie. This film reminds me why I don't like the horror genre- cheesy, pastiche, parody. I personally find it all somewhat pointless. Six years ago I had to read Shelley's book the summer before my freshman year in college. That year I learned way more about the Frankenstein phenomena than I ever cared to. My college's library had a large collection of Frankenstein, Dracula, Vampire movies. We watched this film and the many spin-offs of the Frankenstein story in several required classes so that I now not only have analyzed the literature but also the films in academic settings. None of that analysis really stuck with me, but I certainly see why this movie is included because I would agree that it is the epitome of the horror film. I also like Boris Karloff and was not so disappointed by Collin Clive.

COUNTDOWN: Just 955 movies to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hello and good luck to your project, I'm working on 1001 movies aswell and it's nice to see other peoples experiences :)
    Have you heard about this tool it has helped me greatly to keep track of what I've seen: http://icheckmovies.com

    ReplyDelete