Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pandora's Box- 1929



Germany
Length: 97 minutes
Director: Georg Wilhelm Pabst
Cast: Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner, Francis Lederer, Carl Goetz, Alice Roberts, Gustav Diessl

Eric's Impressions: As you will gather from Natalie's review I did have a mini-crush on the lead actress Louise Brooks after watching this movie - that's what you get for leaving me behind in New York as you lived in China for the better part of the year. Hopefully Brooks doesn't ruin our relationship, but her character destroys all who cross her path and fight for her affection. Everyone falls for her playful sexuality, including an unheard of for its time lesbian admirer, and their lives are never for the better after meeting her. Thank god she met her match in the end and Natalie and I can live happily ever after.

Natalie's Impressions: I saw this film after Eric and I must admit that my opinion of the acting was somewhat affected by the fact that Eric told me immediately after watching the film that he wanted to go to bed with Louise Brooks, that she was the most seductive and beautiful piece of ass ever to hit the silent screen, etc. I was living on the other side of the world at this time so there wasn't much either of us could do with our sexual frustration so I just sat down and watched the film. And I admit, Brooks is quite stunning. Her character is wonderfully rich and she plays it up perfectly. After seeing the film, I was even more impressed with her acting when I read that no expressionist makeup or other tricks were used to dramatize her performance. It is honest and raw and very powerful.

COUNTDOWN: Just 965 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment