Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Age of Gold-1930



France
Length: 60 minutes
Director: Luis Buñuel
Cast: Gaston Modot, Lya Lys, Caridad de Lacerdesque, Max Ernst, Lionel Salem, Germaine Noizet, Josep Llorens Artigas

Eric's Impressions: I knew this was going to be a strange film going in considering the director (Luis Bunuel) and screenwriter (Salvador Dali). When the movie started with a documentary on scorpions, my instincts were right on. I've never been a big fan of the surrealist movement, so maybe that's why I was scratching my head throughout viewing. It's definitely shocking at times and at other times just plain silly.

Natalie's Impressions: Ummm. Yeah. I don't even know where to begin with this film. I understand the whole surrealist dream scape thing going on and I get what Buñuel was trying to achieve- and I think he did achieve the effect he was aiming for- if that effect was one of disorientation, confusion, shock, discomfort, unease and disgust mixed with an unwanted sexual arousal. I experienced all of these emotions and more will watching this film. It got to the point where I wasn't surprised at what I saw. The cow on the bed, which provokes only an annoyed reaction from the bed's owner, the murder of the little boy for a minor offense, and statements like " what joy at having killed our children" become normal in this surrealist world. By the time a man resembling Jesus walks out of a building having engaged in orgies, rape, and murder of women, I was nodding my head, thinking "of course that is Jesus. Why would it be anyone else?"

COUNTDOWN: Just 963 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment