Friday, November 20, 2009

Earth- 1930



U.S.S.R.
Length: 75 minutes
Director: Aleksandr Dovzhenko
Cast: Stepan Shkurat, Semyon Svashenko, Yuliya Solntseva, Yelena Maksimova, Nikolai Nademsky

Eric's Impressions: Ummm. Hmmm. Ummm. Hmmm. Where do I begin or better yet, where do I end this review? This is one of the more boring movies on the list and though filled with beautiful imagery, not an especially enjoyable viewing experience. Like all Russian films reviewed thus far, this one revolves around Communist propaganda with a script that was censored of some of its better scenes after viewing by the government. I will never forget the farmers peeing in the tractor and I believe I even peed myself as I fell asleep a few times watching it.

Natalie's Impressions: Now that is has been a few days since I watched this film, I am regretting not writing this review right away because I don't remember the film. It was very forgettable. I do remember the scene where the farmer pees in the tractor's radiator to get it to go because they don't have any water to put in it. And I remember the main character, Basil getting shot by the enemy group of farmers that were mad that Basil's rich group had a tractor. 75 minutes was too long. The religious theme- or rather the questioning of God's existence- added at least fifteen minutes to the beginning of the film, which chronicled the death of an elder farmer. The religious theme did add to the film and I thought the most interesting part was when Basil's father insists on a regular funeral but the towns people don't want one because they no longer trust priests. I just think it didn't need to drag on the way it did, in my opinion.

COUNTDOWN: Just 962 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment