Monday, October 19, 2009

The Jazz Singer-1927

U.S.
Length: 88 minutes
Director: Alan Crosland
Cast: Al Jolson, May McAvoy, Warner Oland, Eugenie Besserer, Otto Lederer, Bobby Gordon, Richard Tucker

Eric's Impressions: I might be the only film buff to ever admit this, but I much prefer the 1980 Neil Diamond version. Okay, so the original revolutionized the history of cinema as being the first feature-length sound movie, but did it have Diamond singing "America," "Love on the Rocks," and "Hello Again?" Also, though I enjoy blatant racism and blackface as much as the next guy (hint: sarcasm), I found the original boring despite a decent performance by star Al Jolson. Give me Diamond as the disappointing son and Laurence Olivier as the disappointed father any day. Note: Diamond and Olivier won Worst Actor and Worst Supporting Actor at the Golden Raspberry Awards for their performances.

Natalie's Impressions: I had a few issues with this film that are not necessarily the film's fault but rather the fact that it was made when it was. The fact that it was the first talkie accounts for the odd moments of dialogue that puncture the mostly silent picture. It seems to be trying to be something it is not in other ways as well. Like many silent films that came before it, I felt like it was a little preachy at times. I did like the acting though. Al Jolson was pretty good but I really liked the Cantor and his wife. I wasn't so crazy about the musical numbers- but then again I am not generally a fan of musicals. The movie is included in the book for an obvious reason- it even won an Oscar for being a talking picture. But I am not sure that the film has anything else really separating it from other films that makes it special.

COUNTDOWN: Just 972 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment