Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Phantom of the Opera-1925


U.S.A.
Length: 93 minutes
Director: Rupert Julian, Lon Chaney
Cast: Lon Chaney, Mary Philbin, Norman Kerry, Arthur Edmund Carewe, Gibson Gowland, John St. Polis, Snitz Edwards

Eric's Impressions: The uglier the character, the better Lon Chaney captures his essence. Chaney, known as "The Man of a Thousand Faces," never turned down a role because a character was too dark or too scary for the screen. He is brilliant as the evil Phantom, while the rest of the film's cast is below average. This is a story that has been retold over and over again, but no version is quite as creepy as this one. Though it might have a lot to do with it being silent, much credit should be given to Chaney.

Natalie's Impressions: As far as 1920s silent films go, this one is of average length, however, I found myself wishing it was much shorter while watching it. The pace, plot and overall structure of the film is weak and very slow. Sure, Lon Chaney gives a haunting great performance but it just didn't really do much for me. I am not a major fan of the story and I didn't feel like this film had anything that all the versions that came after it didn't have. Plus, I I think that if this was the first Phantom movie I had ever seen, I would have a slightly more favorable opinion. But because it was the first silent film to capture the melodramatic story, I see why it was included.

COUNTDOWN: Just 980 movies to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment