Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Great Train Robbery-1903


US
Length: 12 minutes
Director: Edwin S. Porter
Cast: A.C. Abadie, Gilbert M.

Eric's Impressions: Here's an obscure reference that will only make sense to people from Upstate New York or that have visited the area - when I watched this film, I felt like I was hanging out with the one and only Marshal Wild Windy Billy McKay in Storytown, USA. With that being said and to be completely honest with our readers, Natalie has intoxicated me with several White Peach Sangrias from the August 2009 edition of the magazine - Sunset: Living in the West. They are so tasty (Natalie is sound asleep behind me after just two of them). Highly regarded as the first Western, this movie really has it all from the robbery to the train ride to the riveting final shoot-out. When you do further research and find out the whole thing was shot in New Jersey of all places, you can't help but raise your cap - or cowboy hat - to director Edwin S. Porter

Natalie's Impressions: Although not a masterpiece in fine acting, I found this first Western rather comical because it is so basic. At times it feels forced and it is a predictable story line but I can understand that this movie should be included in a discussion of influential films simply because it was "the first one."

COUNTDOWN: JUST 999 MOVIES TO GO

1 comment:

  1. I wanted more...twelve minutes just didn't soothe my apetite for old-time "western" shoot-outs, train robberies and saloon dancing.

    ReplyDelete